2021 Reapportionment Plan Recommendation
Committee Forwards Final Recommendation to Council
On October 13, 2021, the Reapportionment Committee voted 5-0 (1 recusal and 1 absent) to recommend adoption of the final draft Council district maps created based on the 2020 Census data. Links to the recommended maps and the resulting demographics can be found in the menu on the left side of this page.
There will be two additional opportunities for public comment prior to the adoption of the maps. On October 18, 2021, City Council will review the recommendations of the Committee and provide feedback to staff on any additional changes they would like to see (packet item can be found here). Based on those comments and the Committee's recommendation, an ordinance will be drafted which will have a public hearing on December 13, 2021.
Public comments can be submitted in the following ways:
- Attending the meetings virtually and speaking during the public comment portion of the agenda item. Each speaker has five minutes. Attendees may also alert the City Secretary that they wish to speak at the appropriate time by submitting their name, district and/or address, and agenda item on which they would like to comment via the GoToMeeting chat function during the meeting.
- Dropping written comments off in-person to the City Secretary’s Office, Newark Municipal Building, 1st floor
- By mail to the City Secretary’s Office, Newark Municipal Building, 220 South Main Street, Newark, DE 19711
- By submitting the online Reapportionment Draft Map Public Comment Form
- By emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- By fax to 302-366-7067
Public comments may be submitted on the items on the agenda by 6:00 p.m. the day of the meeting. All public comments received will be read into the record at the meeting.
If you have any questions, please contact the City Secretary’s Office at email@example.com or 302-366-7000.