2018 City Referendum Election Information - Updated June 6, 2018
The city referendum election is to be held on Tuesday, June 19, 2018. Polls open at 7:00 a.m. and close at 8:00 p.m. The polling places for the election are as follows:
- District 1 - Wesleyan Church of Newark, 708 W. Church Road
- District 2 - Aetna Fire Station #8, 410 Ogletown Road
- District 3 - Aetna Fire Station #7, 7 Thorn Lane
- District 4 - First Church of Christ, Scientist, 48 W. Park Place
- District 5 - First Presbyterian Church, Memorial Hall, 292 W. Main Street
- District 6 - First Church of the Nazarene, 357 Paper Mill Road
- Non-resident property owners - Council Chamber, Newark Municipal Building, 220 S. Main Street
The City of Newark Election Polling Places application helps citizens locate their election polling place and obtain information about current elected officials. To locate a polling place, simply click on the map or enter an address in the search box. The polling place and respective voting precinct will then be highlighted on the map and information about the polling place will appear in a pop-up box on the page. For an instructional video on how to operate the polling place application, click here. The Polling Place application has been updated for the 2018 city referendum election.
A form of identification will be required of all voters. For absentee ballots, please contact the City Secretary's Office at (302) 366-7000.
Voters will be asked to vote for or against the bond/certificate of indebtedness issue for the following projects:
- Rodney Stormwater Facility - $6,500,000
- Rodney Park Amenities - $2,500,000
- 2018-2022 Water/Sewer Capital Improvement Program (CIP) Projects - $15,625,000
- 2018-2022 Capital Improvement Program (CIP) Projects - $3,000,000
*** To vote in the June 19, 2018 election, you must be registered by Tuesday, May 29, 2018. ***
Requirements to Vote
- You must be at least 18 years old by Election Day.
- You must be a U.S. citizen.
- You must have established residency in the city for at least 24 days prior to the election.
Additionally, non-resident property owners, corporations, limited liability companies and partnerships are eligible to vote in referendums.
Request an Absentee Ballot
You can request to have an absentee ballot be sent to your home. To request an absentee ballot for city elections, fill out this form and send to the City Secretary's Office at:
City of Newark
City Secretary's Office
220 South Main Street
Newark, DE 19711
You may stop by the office between 8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, where you may vote in person and have your ballot notarized.
Absentee ballots will be available after Council determines the questions for the referendum. All absentee ballots must be returned to the City Secretary’s Office no later than 5:00 p.m. the day of the election.
If you have specific questions about city elections, you may call the City Secretary's Office at (302) 366-7000. For further information, you may call the New Castle County Department of Elections at (302) 577-3464.
April 23, 2018 - Council to consider resolution to set public hearing for referendum questions on May 14, 2018.
May 14, 2018 - Council to consider resolution to set referendum questions for June 19, 2018 referendum.
May 29, 2018 - Deadline to register to vote in the June 19, 2018 referendum election.
June 19, 2018 - Election Day Polls open 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.; Deadline to submit absentee ballots to the City Secretary's Office at 5:00 p.m.
June 21, 2018 - Election Board meeting at 5:00 p.m. to certify election results.