District 1 Special Election Information - Updated June 15, 2021
Due to the resignation of Councilman James Horning, Jr. on Tuesday, May 25, 2021, a special election will be held to fill the District 1 Council vacancy on Tuesday, July 20, 2021. Polls will be open from 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
The District 1 polling location will be the Wesleyan Church of Newark, 708 West Church Road.
Need help identifying your district? View the Election Polling Places application here!
The City of Newark Election Polling Places application helps citizens locate their election polling place and obtain information about current elected officials. To locate a polling place, simply click on the map or enter an address in the search box. The polling place and respective voting precinct will then be highlighted on the map and information about the polling place will appear in a pop-up box on the page. For an instructional video on how to operate the polling place application, click here. The polling place application will be updated once Council has approved the polling place for the special election.
A form of identification will be required of all voters. For absentee ballots, please contact the City Secretary's Office at (302) 366-7000.
In order to run for Council Member in District 1, candidates must meet the following requirements:
- You must have resided in the city for at least one year preceding the election.
- You must be a qualified voter of the city in the Council district you wish to represent.
- You must not have been convicted of a felony for a period of 15 years preceding the election as that crime is designated by the State of Delaware.
- You must file a nominating petition with the City Secretary's office with a minimum of 10 signatures of qualified voters residing in the district which the candidate is seeking election. The filing deadline is Monday, June 21, 2021 at 5:00 p.m.
The following candidates have filed for the office of District 1 Council member for a term to end in April 2023: None
News stories on the District 1 special election:
- Newark Councilman James Horning resigns; special election will be held this summer - Newark Post, May 25, 2021
- Newark City Councilman James Horning resigns - WDEL, May 25, 2021
- Newark schedules special council election for July 20 - Newark Post, June 1, 2021
- Newark sets election date to fill vacant City Council seat - WDEL, June 1, 2021
*** To vote in the July 20, 2021 special election, you must have registered by Monday, June 28, 2021. ***
Requirements to Vote
- You must be at least 18 years old by Election Day.
- You must be a U.S. citizen.
- You must have established residency in the city for at least 24 days prior to the election.
Request an Absentee Ballot
The City strongly encourages City residents to vote via absentee ballot for the District 1 Council special election due to the COVID-19 State of Emergency. Absentee ballot affidavits and a cover letter detailing instructions will be mailed to every registered voter in District 1 once it has been determined there will be a contested election. If you do not receive an affidavit, please contact the City Secretary's Office at 302-366-7000 or email@example.com to request an absentee affidavit. To guarantee receipt of the absentee ballot package in time for the special election, it is strongly recommended to submit your completed absentee affidavit by Friday, July 9. The final deadline for submitting a completed affidavit is Friday, July 16. All completed absentee ballots must be returned to the City Secretary’s Office no later than 8:00 p.m. the day of the election.
Working at the Polls
The City of Newark is looking for City residents who would like to work at the polling places. Workers must be available from 6:00 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. on the day of the election as well as for a training to be scheduled in the week prior to the election. Payment ranges from $150 to $185 for workers depending on the role to which they are assigned plus an additional $50 for attending training prior to the election. Lunch is also provided.
For more information, please contact the City Secretary's Office at 302-366-7000 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have specific questions about city elections, you may call the City Secretary's Office at (302) 366-7000. For further information, you may call the New Castle County Department of Elections at (302) 577-3464.
June 1, 2021, 6:00 p.m. - Special City Council meeting to set special election date and filing deadline.
June 9, 2021, 5:30 p.m. - Election Board meeting.
June 21, 2021, 5:00 p.m. - Filing deadline for candidates for Council Members in District 1.
June 28, 2021 - Deadline to register to vote in the District 1 special election.
July 20, 2021, 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. - Election Day
July 19, 2021, Time TBD - Election Board to begin processing absentee ballots; Ballots will not be counted at this meeting
July 20, 2021, 5:00 p.m. - Absentee judges begin counting absentee ballots
July 22, 2021, 5:00 p.m. - Election Board certification meeting
July 29, 2021 - Swearing in of new Council member