About UNICITY Bus Services
The UNICITY Bus system is a service of the City of Newark and UD Transit of the University of Delaware, with funding assistance from the State of Delaware.
UNICITY COVID-19 Update (August 27, 2020)
Unicity bus operations, suspended in March 2020 due to the COVID-19 situation, will be restarting on September 8, 2020, running through November 20, 2020. Unicity bus operations run concurrently with University of Delaware bus operations. If the University of Delaware is required to close due to a COVID-19 outbreak, Unicity bus operations will be suspended.
Current COVID-19 protocols, as recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, will be strictly observed. To allow for appropriate physical distancing, each Unicity bus will carry no more than five (5) passengers, and the use of face coverings will be required at all times. Anyone who is sick or has recently been in close contact with someone with COVID-19 should not be using Unicity buses. All buses will be equipped with hand sanitizer dispensers for passenger use.
- 302-831-1187 (UD Transit)
- 302-366-7000 (City of Newark)
- On East Main Street, the bus goes into Main Towers and the Newark Shopping Center.
- The bus will pick up and discharge passengers at any location between route stops except on Main Street and on Delaware Avenue, where passengers will be picked up and discharged only at UNICITY signs. Please be in clear view of the bus and indicate you want to board the bus.
- The schedule is approximate. Please be at the stop 10 minutes early. Route may be delayed due to ADA accommodations for passengers, heavy traffic, or inclement weather.
- Parents will make sure children follow all safety regulations. Children under the age of 12 cannot ride UNICITY buses without a parent or guardian.
- Passengers will please use the seat belts provided for their safety
- Passengers are limited to three carry-on bags and/or packages. Please bring only as much as you can carry without help. Drivers cannot help passengers with their carry-ons.
- Please be courteous and respectful to other passengers.
- The City of Newark reserves the right to refuse service to any person under the influence of drugs or alcohol or who engages in disruptive conduct.
- UNICITY buses are equipped with bicycle racks which are available on a first-come-first-served basis.
Buses operate Monday through Friday except for the following days, observed holidays, or when UD and City offices are closed:
- New Year's Day
- Memorial Day
- Juneteenth (Observed on Friday, June 18th 2021)
- Fourth of July
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
New route effective September 8, 2020! Inclement weather may cancel or alter Unicity routes, please plan accordingly. When service disruptions do occur, the information will be posted via the UD (www.udel.edu) and City of Newark websites as early as possible.
For more Public Transportation options available in the City of Newark, please visit DART First State’s website.