Fire Protection and Fire Safety
Fire Protection Systems
- The office enforces all of the International Fire Code, NFPA and Delaware State Fire Prevention Codes.
- The office conducts plan review of construction plans for compliance on the installation of fire alarms, fire sprinkler systems, fire suppression systems, and conducts field inspections for the compliance of the installations and testing of such:
- The office enforces all of the International Fire Code, NFPA Life Safety Codes and Delaware State Fire Prevention Codes.
- The office conducts Annual Fire Safety Inspections for compliance on the testing and maintenance of all fire protection systems within the City of Newark.
- This unit issues Fire Safety Permits and conducts inspections of tents, open flames, fireworks, special events and public assembly gatherings.
- This unit conducts Annual Fire Safety Business Inspections in regards to the requirements to meet the City of Newark Fire License.
- In a coordinated effort with our property maintenance unit, they conduct yearly life and fire safety inspections of all fraternity and sorority houses.
- This unit conducts limited fire safety education sessions throughout the calendar year
- Annual Fire Safety Training to returning University of Delaware Resident Directors and Resident Assistance
- Assists Aetna Hose, Hook and Ladder in Pre-K to Grade 4 Fire Safety Education Demonstrations
Fire Origin and Cause Investigations
- The City of Newark Police Department and The State Fire Marshal’s Office entered into a Memorandum of Understanding in 2015, that all investigations of fires deemed “suspicious” or those resulting in injury or death will be conducted by the State Fire Marshal’s Office. http://statefiremarshal.delaware.gov/investigations/
For more information, call (302) 366-7000 ext. 2061 or email firstname.lastname@example.org