For Immediate Release
By Authority of: Chief Paul Tiernan
Contact: Lieutenant Fred Nelson
302-366-7100 x3119, Frederick.Nelson@cj.state.de.us
The Newark Police Department (NPD) will be increasing order maintenance patrols throughout the City of Newark over the next several weeks in anticipation of upcoming celebrations for St. Patrick’s Day. This will include uniformed and non-uniformed patrols during the daytime and nighttime hours.
In an effort to curb criminal activity and enhance public safety, the following tips are being shared and residents are strongly encouraged to review and utilize the information, as warranted:
· To ensure personal safety, residents are advised against allowing anyone into their homes who is not an invited guest. Party hosts utilizing an “open door” policy of allowing unknown persons to enter their residences are creating opportunities for persons with criminal intent to victimize the host and invited guests.
· Residents are encouraged to call for police assistance in the event they are hosting a party and cannot control the attendees on their own.
o These circumstances include unwanted/unknown persons inside the residence or a crowd that has grown to an unmanageable number.
o A party host requesting police assistance in such incidents will not be subject to the same enforcement action taken when a complaint is received from an independent caller.
· Residents are reminded of the Delaware State Law that provides criminal immunity to anyone who suffers or reports an alcohol or drug overdose. This law is intended to protect the well-being of those suffering from an alcohol or drug overdose and to ensure that others call 911 when an emergency exists, without fear of being arrested.
NPD will continue to respond to all complaints of noise violations and similar disturbances from the general public. Residents should be aware the following violations will be strictly enforced:
- Noise Violation – allowing music to be played at a level audible across property boundaries
- Disorderly Premises – allowing loud or unusual noise to the disturbance of the quiet and good order of the city
- Special Event Permit Required – a City of Newark Special Event Permit is required if there are more than 150 persons present at a social gathering
- Open Container – no person shall possess an open container of alcohol on a street, sidewalk, common area of an apartment building or private property (without owner’s permission).
- Underage Possession/Consumption of Alcohol – a person under the age of 21 possesses or consumes an alcoholic beverage.