The customer service function provides assistance to utility customers in:
- Establishing and terminating service
- Answering billing and service inquiries
- Managing delinquent utility accounts receivable
- Providing customer education
New Rental Accounts
The City of Newark does require a security deposit for all new rental accounts. The security deposit is $100, or $150 if you have electric heat. Homeowners do not need to make a security deposit.
Commercial accounts also require a security deposit which is based on the type of business and size. Security deposits are calculated by twice the average or projected consumption in accordance with City Code, Section 11-16. The City factors the square footage, along with measuring the same or similar type of business. The minimum deposit is $300.
- How do I open and close an electric utility account as a tenant or renter?
- Will Customer Connect automatically transfer or move my account over to a new City of Newark address?
- How do I open and close a water utility account as a tenant or renter?
- I am a new homeowner; how do I establish service in my name?
- What information is required to establish service for a residential rental property?
- What fees or deposits are required for residential electric service for new tenants?
- What payment methods are accepted?
- How do I pay my utility bill?
- What is Budget Billing?
- How can I sign up for Preauthorized Payments (Direct Debit) or Budget Billing (Equal Payment plan)?
- What is the Customer Charge listed on my bill?
- How do I make payment arrangements?
- I need help paying my bills, what can I do?
- Can I pay my ticket online?
- Do you offer rebates or incentives for energy conservation?
- I disagree with the amount of my bill, what should I do?
- What is the “Energy Next” line on the bill?
- How do I change the name on the bill?
- How can I register my address for medical emergencies?
- What is Customer Connect?