Compliments & Concerns
Praise, Commend or Thank a Newark Police Officer
The city recognizes that citizens frequently have positive interaction with its Police Officers.
At the Newark Police Department, the police hold themselves to high standards of moral, ethical, and professional conduct. Your comments help guarantee that they consistently meet those standards.
Any citizen who has a compliment for police service in the city may contact the department to ensure the officer or officers concerned are notified of your appreciation
Reporting Concerns & Complaints
The city recognizes that occasionally citizens may have questions or concerns regarding police service provided.
At the Newark Police Department, the police hold themselves to high standards of moral, ethical, and professional conduct. Your cooperation helps guarantee that they consistently meet those standards.
Any citizen having a question or complaint about police service in the city may contact the Department to bring those concerns to its attention.
Following the instructions below will ensure that your concerns are handled promptly and professionally.
Questions & Inquiries
- If you wish to inquire about laws, policy, and procedure, or the handling of a particular police matter, please stop by the Police Department or call the Professional Standards Officer.
- After business hours, if you have a question that requires immediate attention, call (302) 366-7111. A communications officer will take your question or inquiry and refer you to the proper officer or supervisor.
- If the appropriate person is not immediately available, the communications officer will take your phone number and your call will be returned at the first available opportunity. Due to the nature of police work, calls sometimes cannot be returned immediately, so your patience and understanding will be appreciated.
Complaints or Accusations
- If you have a complaint against the Police Department or any of its employees, you are encouraged to make the complaint in person so that you may complete a Citizen's Complaint Report to document the incident. If you are unable to come to the Police Department, you may request that the form be mailed to you.
- You will be given a copy of the completed report and a copy will be forwarded to the appropriate supervisor who will conduct a thorough investigation of the incident.
- Based upon the findings of the investigation, a policy or procedure may be reviewed or changed, or an employee may be disciplined. You will be notified within 60 days of the outcome of the investigation and what, if any, action was taken; however, the specific nature of any disciplinary action will not be released.
- An annual summary of all citizen complaints and internal administrative investigations is available through the Professional Standards Office.